Scientific publications of Walter Vermeulen are addressing a few connected fields of governance for sustainable production and consumption.
Updates and downloadable articles can be found on Research Gate
Some most recent articles in the subfields are:
Sustainable development: concept and key approaches:
- Vermeulen W.J.V. (2018) Chapter 4 Substantiating the rough consensus on the three-dimensional concept of sustainable development as point of departure for indicator development. In Bell, S. and S. Morse (ed.) Handbook of Sustainability Indicators and Indices, Routledge, London
- Keitsch M. and W.J.V. Vermeulen (ed.) (2021) Transdisciplinary for sustainability- aligning diverse practices, Routledge-ISDRS book series, Routledge, Oxon UK.
- Vermeulen, W.J.V., M. Bootsma, M. Tijm (2014) Higher Education Level Teaching of (master’s) programmes in Sustainable Development: Analysis of Views on Prerequisites and Practices based on a Worldwide Survey. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology, 21(2014)5, pp. 430-448
Corporate Sustainability: measurement of impacts: Oiconomy Pricing
- Croes, P. and W.J.V. Vermeulen (2020) The Assessment of Positive Impacts in LCA of products, International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 2021 Vol. 26(1), pp. 143–156
- Croes, P. and W.J.V. Vermeulen (2019) Quantification of Corruption in Preventative Costs based SLCA. A contribution to the Oiconomy Project. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 142-159
- Croes, P and W.J.V. Vermeulen (2016) In Search of Income Reference Points for SLCA using a Country Level Sustainability Benchmark (Part 2): a Fair Minimum Wage. A Contribution to the Oiconomy Project. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, Vol. 21, Issue 3, pp. 363-377
- Croes, P and W.J.V. Vermeulen (2016) In Search of Income Reference Points for SLCA using a Country Level Sustainability Benchmark (Part 1): Fair Inequality.
A Contribution to the Oiconomy Project. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, Vol. 21, Issue 3, pp. 349-362
- Croes, P and W.J.V. Vermeulen (2015) Comprehensive Life Cycle Assessment by Transferring of Preventative Costs in the Supply Chain of Products. A first draft of the Oiconomy system, Journal of Cleaner Production, 102, 177–187. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.04.040
Corporate sustainability, firm level
- Witjes, S., W.J.V. Vermeulen, J. M. Cramer (2018) On corporate sustainability integration and the support of tools, accepted in World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development,
Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 581–607.
- Vermeulen, W.J.V. and S. Witjes (2016) On Addressing the Dual and Embedded Nature of Business and the Route towards Corporate Sustainability, Journal of Cleaner Production (2016), 112, pp. 2822–2832.
- Witjes, S., W.J.V. Vermeulen, J. M. Cramer (2017) Assessing Corporate Sustainability integration for corporate self-reflection, Resources, Conservation & Recycling. 127, 132-147
Corporate sustainability, input side: Sustainable supply chains
- Rueda, X., V. Nelson, W.J.V. Vermeulen (2018) Challenges of the Sustainability Transition in Global Trade (Introduction,) Business Strategy and the Environment, Vol. 27, Issue 2, p. 172-178
- Vermeulen, W.J.V. (2015) Self-Governance for Sustainable Global Supply Chains: Can it deliver the impacts needed? In Business Strategy and the Environment, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 73-85
- Oorschot, Mark van, Marcel Kok, Johan Brons, Stefan van der Esch, Jan Janse, Trudy Rood, Edward Vixseboxse, Harry Wilting (PBL) and Walter Vermeulen (Utrecht University) (2014) Sustainability of international Dutch supply chains – Progress, effects and perspectives, PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, The Hague, PBL publication number: 1289
Corporate sustainability, output side: circular economy
- Reike, D., S. Witjes, W.J.V. Vermeulen, (2018) The circular economy: New or Refurbished as CE 3.0? – Exploring controversies in the conceptualization of the circular economy through a focus on history and value retention options. Resource Conservation and Recycling, Vol. 135, pp. 246-264.
- Vermeulen, W.J.V., C.W. Backes, M.C.J. de Munck, K.Campbell-Johnston, I.M. de Waal, J. Rosales Carreon, M.N. Boeve, (2021) Pathways for Extended Producer Responsibility on the road to a Circular Economy, White paper based on a literature review and the results of a Delphi study, on the experiences with EPR in the Netherlands, Utrecht University, Circular Economy and Society Hub, Utrecht.
- Campbell-Johnston, K., W.J.V. Vermeulen; D. Reike; S. Bullot (2020) The circular economy and cascading: towards a framework, Resources, Conservation & Recycling X, Vol. 7,100038
- Calisto Friant, M., W.J.V. Vermeulen, R. Salomone (2020) A Typology of Circular Economy Discourses: Navigating the Diverse Visions of a Contested Paradigm, Resources, Conservation & Recycling, Vol. 161, 104917
- Vermeulen W.J.V. (2006) Social Dimension Of Industrial Ecology: On The Implications Of The Inherent Nature Of Social Phenomena. Progress in Industrial Ecology, 3(2006)6, pp. 574-598